Suspect in shooting of commanders charged with unrelated murder ~ Washington

A DC youth charged with the shooting death of Washington Commanders running back Brian Robinson Jr. during an attempted robbery in August is also charged with the fatal shooting in October of a 15-year-old who police say was targeted as he sat on a porch near a northeast DC elementary school, according to two people familiar with the matter.

People familiar with the matter confirmed the now 15-year-old teenager was charged in both counts after he appeared for a hearing in the DC Superior Court in connection with the fatal shooting of Andre Robertson Jr. on Tuesday, the judges Robert A. Salerno had ordered him to remain in custody after a social worker recommended that the youth be held for his connection to at least one other case, without specifying the nature of that case.

People familiar with the matter, who spoke on condition of anonymity as both ongoing investigations involve youth, said the 15-year-old had also been charged in connection with Robinson’s shooting. Police previously said two people attempted to rob the running back as he exited a storefront on the 1000 block of H Street NE just before 6pm on August 28. Police said the player “snatched a gun from one”. of the two male attackers before the other shot him dead.

On November 4, police announced they had charged a 15-year-old with murder in Robertson’s killing and arrested a 15-year-old in the shooting of the returning commanders – although they did not clarify it was the same person.

DC leaders have denounced youth violence in the city. DC Police Chief Robert J. Contee III, for example, called Robinson’s shooting “another case of a youth with an illegal weapon.”

“Enough is enough,” said Contee. “We must keep guns out of the hands of the youth of our city.”

The 15-year-old – who was 14 at the time of the two shootings – is not the only suspect in either incident and his alleged role in either was not immediately clear. Police have also charged a 13-year-old in connection with the killing of Robertson. And they have charged a 17-year-old, who is now back with the team, in connection with the shooting and wounding of Robinson. This 17-year-old had previously been charged in a separate fatal shooting in March at a Prince George’s County mall, although he was later released due to lack of evidence, according to Prince George’s County Attorneys.

At Tuesday’s court hearing related to Robertson’s killing, family members of the defendants in that case and in Robinson’s shooting had simultaneously logged on to the remote access video screen, causing some confusion.

Court officials said the hearing for the defendants in the shooting of Robinson will follow the hearing for the defendants in the Robertson murder. The Washington Post was only allowed to attend the first hearing for those accused of Robertson’s murder, on the condition that the identities of the teenagers involved would not be made public, since they were charged as juveniles, not adults.

The attorney general’s office, which prosecutes DC juveniles, and the public defender’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday night.

Source