RALEIGH, NC – The Virginia volleyball team (12-16, 4-13 ACC) lost to NC State (15-13, 9-8 ACC) in four sets, 14-25, 19-25, 25-20, 17-25 on Wednesday afternoon . (November 23) at the Reynolds Coliseum.
Leading the Cavaliers were Grace Turner (10 kills, 10 digs), Veresia Yon (7 kills, 3 blocks, 2 aces), and Gabby Easton (28 assists, 11 digs).
Set 1: NC State 25, Virginia 14
The Wolf Pack led for the entire No. 1 set after scoring the first four points to open the game. NC State led 8-5 before scoring seven straight points to open a 10-point lead the Cavaliers couldn’t break. Yon led UVA with three kills in the first frame.
Set 2: NC State 25, Virginia 19
Virginia hit three straight kills early in set #2 to reduce NC State’s lead to 9-8. The Cavaliers capped their own 3-0 run with four unanswered goals later in the set to level it 14-14 after back-to-back aces from Turner. NC State led 18-17 before the Wolfpack scored seven of the last nine points to win the second and take a 2-0 lead at the break.
Set 3: Virginia 25, NC State 20
After the break, NC State jumped out with an 8-4 lead to start the third game, but the Hoos scored six straight points to turn the score to a 10-8 lead. During the Virginia scoring tour, Yon recorded two aces at serve and GG Carvacho laid down two of their five kills in set number two. Carvacho’s fifth and final frame kill triggered another UVA run – this time 5-0 – and delivered the set point in the Cavaliers’ favour, 24:17. The Wolfpack went for the next three points, but Carvacho and Mattison Matthews teamed up for a block to end the set and reduce NC State’s lead to 2-1.
Set 4: NC State 25, Virginia 17
The Wolf Pack led most of Day 4 after NCSU scored four straight points to forge an early 6-3 lead. Virginia was within striking distance in the back half of Game #4 when a kill by Yon capped a 4-1 UVA run and reduced the Wolfpack’s lead to 18-15. From there, NC State won seven of their last nine games, including back-to-back aces to end the match.
- With a pair of aces in Wednesday’s match, Grace Turner scored her 100thth Career Service Ass. The last UVA player to record at least 100 aces in his career was Lexi Riccolo (2013-16), who finished with 117 aces in 487 sets played.
- With 10 digs, Turner surpassed the milestone of 600 career digs. Turner now has a total of 604 digs.
- Both Turner (10 kills, 10 digs) and Gabby Easton (28 assists, 11 digs) hit double-doubles. Wednesday’s performance marked Turner’s fifth of the season and 10thth of her career and her sixth for Easton in 2022.
- First-year defensive specialist Kate Johnson had a season-high with 11 digs. Johnson’s previous best was eight wins in UVA’s win over Florida State (Oct. 14)
- With the win, NC State improved to 39-35 in the all-time streak that began in 1981 and counted its 10thth direct victory over the Cavaliers.
- For the second time this season, the Wolfpack finished with at least 14.0 blocks against UVA.
The Cavaliers wrap up their 2022 season Saturday (Nov. 26) in North Carolina (15-12, 7-9 ACC). Carmichael Arena’s first serve is scheduled for 1pm on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX).