Women’s Basketball | 11/22/2022 10:02:00 am
|THE GAME||North Carolina A&T (2-1) vs. South Carolina State (0-5)|
|TIP OFF||8 p.m|
CURRENT: Tuesday’s competition will be broadcast live on HBCU Go starting at 8pm, Charlie Neal and Lawrencia Moten will be on the phone. Nicole Hutchinson will be the sideline reporter.
STORIES OF NORTH CAROLINA A&T AGGIES
- head coach Tarell Robinson is in his 11th season and needs a win to become the all-time winningest coach. He can set the record tonight with a win over South Carolina State.
- Robinson has an overall record of 191-109 and has made three NCAA tournament appearances, three postseason WNIT appearances, and won three conference tournament championships and four conference regular-season championships.
- He will break Tim Abney’s record if he gets the next win. Abney went 191-172 in 13 seasons with the Aggies.
- Additionally, he has a 100-27 record at the Corbett Sports Center following Aggies’ 89-38 win over Mid-Atlantic Christian last Tuesday in Corbett. He is the first A&T women’s basketball coach to reach this milestone.
- North Carolina’s A&T women’s basketball rebounded from its season-opening loss to Duke with more than 50 straight wins over St. Andrews (102-29) and Mid-Atlantic Christian (89-38).
- The 73-point lead of the win over St Andrews tied the school record. The Aggies also won by 73 points over Bennett in the 1990–91 season.
- In their last 11 games Jasmine Harris averaged 12.1 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.3 blocks. Her six points against Mid-Atlantic Christian ended her 10-game streak in which she reached double digits.
- Jasmine Harris needs 14 points for her 1,000. career point. She has 986 career points, 611 points in three seasons at Charlotte and 375 points at A&T.
- Nyah Willis also approaching her 1,000. career point. She has 939 career points, 467 points in one season at Chabot, 443 points in two seasons at Presbyterian, and 29 points this season at A&T.
- The Aggies have a record of 586-573 and need 14 wins for 600 in program history.
EXPLORING THE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE BULLDOGS
- South Carolina State is seeking its first win of the season after five games. The Bulldogs have not surpassed 50 points all season, with their season-high in points coming in a 50-41 loss to Queens University of Charlotte. The Bulldogs have scored 35 points or fewer in four of their five games.
- Nicole Gwynn leads the team with 10.0 points per game and 1.2 assists per game. Lovely Sonnier averages 5.2 points and leads 7.0 rebounds per game. Gift Simpson records 6.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
- Gwynn, Simpson and Janiah Hinton are the only players to have scored at least one game in double figures this season. Gwynn did it three times and Hinton and Simpson did it once.
- The Bulldogs are shooting 28.8 percent from the ground this season while their opponents are shooting 40.2 percent. They have a minus 11 turnover range and the opponents have passed the Bulldogs 381-253.
- Tim Eatman was named the women’s basketball coach on July 12, 2022. He was the acting head coach for the last six games of the 2018–19 season at Rutgers, filling in for C. Vivian Stringer. Rutgers went 4-2 and received an at-large bid for the NCAA tournament.
- The Aggies led the series 47-30. A&T has won the last 15 meetings, including last season’s 86-46 non-conference win at Corbett.
- A&T has won the last seven meetings in Orangeburg, SC with the previous loss of 68-57 on February 16, 2013.
- Robinson is 15-1 against the Bulldogs.
“I love the opportunity to compete against old MEAC rivals. But one of our biggest, of course, is the state of South Carolina. We’re hoping to get off to a better start on the road than we did against Duke last time.”
head coach Tarell Robinson